My first article under new leadership. I'm going to post some incidents that happened on this date. January 6th.
2021 Rogue cop kills unarmed retired female service veteran.
1017 Cnut the Great crowned King of England in London by Lyfing, Archbishop of Canterbury.
- 1066 King Harold I of England crowned
- 1099 Henry V crowned German king
- 1205 Philip of Swabia becomes King of the Romans
- 1227 Ferrand of Portugal freed from the Louvre
- 1322 Stephen Uros III becomes King of Serbia
- 1352 French King Jean II introduces Order of the Star
- 1355 Charles I of Bohemia is crowned with the Iron Crown of Lombardy
- 1449 Byzantine Emperor Constantine XI is crowned at Mistra.
- 1453 Emperor Frederik III becomes archduke of Austria
- 1494 The first Mass in the New World is celebrated at La Isabela, Hispaniola
- 1497 Jews are expelled from Graz in Styria, Austria
- 1579 Northern Hasburg Netherlands counties of Artois and Hainault and city Dowaai sign pro-Spanish and pro-Roman Catholic Union of Arras (Unie van Atrecht)
- 1661 The Fifth Monarchists unsuccessfully attempt to seize control of London
- 1681 First recorded boxing match is engineered by Christopher Monck, 2nd Duke of Albemarle; his butler vs his butcher
- 1690 Joseph I, later Holy Roman Emperor and son of Emperor Leopold I, becomes King of the Romans
- 1720 The Committee of Inquiry on the South Sea Bubble publishes its findings
1832 New England Anti-Slavery Society organizes (Boston)
- 1857 Patent for reducing zinc ore granted to Samuel Wetherill, Penn
- 1861 Florida troops seize Federal arsenal at Apalachicola
- 1861 NYC mayor proposes NY become a free city, trading with North and South
- 1870 The inauguration of the Musikverein (Vienna)
1925 Mikhail Frunze replaces Leon Trotsky as People's Commissioner of Military and Native Affairs (Minister of Defence) as Trotsky and Joseph Stalin battle for power in the aftermath of Vladimir Lenin's death
For my number 1 lurker. 1925 Mussolini forms a cabinet composed entirely of Fascists in Italy
1946 Pope Pius XII publishes encyclical Quemadmodum
- 1946 Vietnam holds its first ever general election
- 1947 Ray Lindwall smashes 100 v England in MCG Test
- 1947 Pan American Airlines offers a round-the-world-ticket, the first commercial airline to do so
- 1950 "Happy As Larry" opens at Coronet Theater, NYC, runs for 3 performances
- 1950 Britain recognizes Communist government of China
- 1951 "Pardon Our French" closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 100 performances
- 1951 Indianapolis Olympians beat Rochester Royals, 75-73 in NBA-record 6 overtimes; also the longest game in NBA history
- 1951 Ganghwa massacre: Hundreds of South Korean communist sympathisers are slaughtered
- 1953 WKBN TV channel 27 in Youngstown, OH (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 1953 The first Asian Socialist Conference opens in Burma
- 1956 KGNS TV channel 8 in Laredo, TX (NBC/ABC) begins broadcasting
- 1956 Federal court bars former Little League Commissioner Carl Stotz from forming a rival group
More in comments.