MORE THAN 450,000 UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS ENROLLED IN COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES IN UNITED STATES.
Around 450,000 foreign-born illegal immigrants are getting college degrees, so they need taxpayer funding and work opportunities, according to an alliance of advocates for Mike Bloomberg and for hundreds of colleges and universities.
Among the report’s top findings are:
- More than 450,000 (approximately 2% of all students) undocumented students are enrolled in higher education;
- 87% of DACA-eligible students are enrolled in undergraduate programs, and 13% of DACA-eligible students are enrolled in graduate-level programs;
- 216,0000 of these individuals hold or are eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA);
- The top five states with undocumented students in higher education are California (92,000), Texas (66,000), Florida (42,000), New York (33,000), and Illinois (21,000);
- 82% of undocumented students are enrolled in public institutions while 18% attend private postsecondary institutions;
- 90% of undocumented students are enrolled in undergraduate programs, and 10% percent of students are enrolled in graduate-level programs; and
- Undocumented students are a diverse population in higher education, with Hispanic students accounting for 46% of undocumented students, compared to 25% for Asian students, and 15% for Black students.
You can view the full report here.
What say you?